Dates: 5th October 2014 to 8th February 2015Days: Sundays 1pm – 8pm / Mondays 10am – 6pm
Tuesday 30th SeptemberSt Albans Fulham, 2 Margravine Gardens London, W6 8HJBarons Court or Hammersmith Tube
To register your interest in this course please call us on 020 7385 2038 to book or e-mail: email@example.com.
This new 4 month part-time Opera Course is designed to introduce talented singers to intensive study and development of the skills they require to pursue a career as an opera singer.Over two days per week participants will work with top industry practitioners including conductors, performers, language specialists, repetiteurs, directors and specialised coaches.The primary focus of this course is to work on the essential skills needed in order to launch a successful career. The programme will focus on the all -round performer, in particularly stagecraft and acting as well as daily 4-hour rehearsal with an Opera Director/ Conductor and Repetiteur, building on the skills required for a professional career in opera.
The course will encompass:-The study of two operatic roles. These should be from the English, French, German or Italian Repertoire.IMPORTANT: There will be a Study Day on Sunday 21st September together with Sam Krum, leading Opera agent with Robert Guilder and Repetiteur Mary Hill.Sam Krum, who studied as a counter-tenor before working as an agent, is experienced in allocating appropriate repertoire. In consultation with our Opera repetiteur and your current teacher, we will choose the two roles which you will study over the course of the 4 months.Please make yourself available on this Sunday. Please e-mail us with your short-list of a maximum of 4 suitable roles by Wednesday 17th September.-Group workshops in dramatic, musical and interpretive skills, focusing on your chosen roles.-Sessions with experienced opera repetiteurs and conductors-Language coaching ( German and Italian)-Sessions in Pilates and movement/dance-Training in audition technique-Performance classes working on stagecraft, professional etiquette and vocal masteryTutors & Coaches confirmed so far:Liz Rowe, Brad Cohen, Melly Still,Robin Newton, Chris Cowell, Max Key, Mary Hill, Norbert Meyn, Graeme Danby, Stuart Barker, Olivia Fuchs, Philip Headlam and Jeremy Silver.
TIMETABLE (subject to change):Sundays: 1pm – 3pm: Week 1-4: Italian Language coaching / Week 5-8 German Language Coaching / Week 9-12 various guests and Q&A’s with agents / opera practitioners / physical theatre / extra music calls / song class etc.3pm – 4pm: Break4pm – 8pm: Work with Director & Repetiteur on Scenes & EnsemblesMondays:10am – 12pm: Acting12am – 12.45pm Break12.45pm – 4.45 pm : Work with Rep Coach & Conductor or Director 4.45 pm – 15 min break and move to church5pm – Pilates/MovementOne Monday evening a month:Masterclass open to advanced singers from the course and advanced opera studio members
Guest Opera Coaches include:Janice Chapman (Vocal Coach and founding member of the BVA)
• Rebecca Evans(Grammy Award Winning Soprano) • Olivia Fuchs (Director at ROH, ENO, Opera Holland Park)
• Brad Cohen (Conductor at Opera Holland Park, RPO, BBC 2’s Maestro)
• Giles Havergal (Director at Opera North, WNO, Scottish Opera)
• Jonathan Hinden (Conductor and Senior Coach at Glyndebourne)
• James Conway (Artistic Director of ETO) • Mary King (Director of VoiceLab, Channel 4’s Operatunity)
• Natalie Murray (Opera Coach, RCM, Jette Parker Programme, NOS) • Robin Norton-Hale (Director of Olivier Award Winning La Boheme for Opera Up Close)
• Robin Newton (Conductor, Head of Music at Garsington Opera) • Jonathan Cohen (Associate Conductor of Les Arts Florissants)
• Mandy Demetriou (Movement Director at ROH, ENO, Opera North) • Sophie Daneman(Internationally acclaimed Baroque Soprano)
• Alessandro Talevi (Director at Opera North, Sadler’s Wells, Buxton Festival) • Brindley Sherratt (Internationally acclaimed Bass)
• Andrew Watts (Internationally acclaimed Countertenor) • Justin Way (Head of Staff Directors at ROH)
• Rory Bremner (Satirist and English Librettist for Scottish Opera) •Roger Vignoles (Diapason d’Or Award Winning Pianist)
• Iain Burnside (Grammy and Sony Radio Award Winning Pianist)•Max Key (Opera Director)•Mary Hill (Repetiteur RAM/RCM)
• Christopher Cowell (Opera Director)• Stuart Barker (Opera Director)• Jeremy Silver (Conductor, AHM NOS)
• Norbert Meyn (Coach, Guildhall)•Philip Headlam (Opera Coach)• Robert Fried (Acting Coach/Director RADA)
• Martin Fitzpatrick (Head of Music ENO)•Sam Krum (Agent with Robert Gilder)
• Lawrence Cummings (Repetiteur/ Coach)
‘Nothing could have prepared me for the sheer volume of talented performers, directors, conductors and tutors I worked with throughout my time on the Opera Course with Associated Studios London. I learned more about Baroque style and recitative from Lawrence Cummings in 6 hours than I had in my entire career prior to that. Highlights for me included the amazing drama workshop with Robert Fried and an aria session with Brad Cohen but I received so many pearls of wisdom from everyone who taught at the studio. I was greatly humbled by the care and dedication shown to me by Leontine and her lovely team. I was encouraged to try repertoire that I might not have chosen previously (which suited me beautifully) in a safe and fun environment where I was given the opportunity to experiment, play and make mistakes. I am also quite excited by the contacts that I’ve made during my time on the course and have already been hired to play Josephine in HMS Pinafore with Lyric Opera in Ireland in Feb 2014. I am incredibly grateful to have been awarded a scholarship to study with Associated Studios London, without which it would have been tremendously difficult for me to do so.’ (Emma Walsh – former student)