MA Musical Theatre Performance
We are thrilled to announce the launch of a Master’s Musical Theatre Performance, validated by the University of Wolverhampton. Associated Studios take pride in developing performers of the highest calibre. You will be challenged and nurtured, inspired to work to the best of your ability. This vocational MA offers one year of intensive practical training in Dance, Singing and Acting, the skills required to become an outstanding Musical Theatre performer.
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN
Applications Deadline: 29.03.2021
Please be aware that when you click ‘APPLY NOW’ you will be redirected to the website of the University of Wolverhampton which is where you will need to go through the application process.
You will receive triple threat training. Our MA Musical Theatre Performance focuses equally on all three disciplines; singing, acting and dancing. You will have the opportunity to perform and receive individual feedback daily.
Throughout your course, you will participate in masterclasses and workshops led by industry professionals, including mock auditions with Casting Directors, Producers and Agents. All Associated Studios tutors also work in professional theatre.
Individual Singing Lessons
As well as your ensemble singing lessons, music theory and song performance classes, students on this course will also receive 15 individual singing lessons with a top vocal coach.
One of the highlights of this course is our West End Industry Showcase. You will have the chance to do what you do best in front of top Agents, Casting Directors and Producers.
In your final term of training, you will take part in a full-scale musical production in a professional theatre in London. Run like a professional company rehearsal, you will audition, rehearse and work with a professional creative team.
Start Date: Monday 11 October 2021 Term Dates
- Mondays 09.30 – 17.30
- Tuesdays 09.30 – 17.30
- Wednesdays 09.30 – 17.30
- Thursdays 09.30 – 17.30
- Fee: £14,500
- Alumni may be eligible to receive Recognition of Prior Learning (see below)
- This course is currently validated for UK and EU students only
- Finance: Students may be eligible for a Student Loan.
- Please visit https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan for more information.
Entry: Via audition
Are you an Associated Studios Graduate? If you have already trained with us on one of our advanced courses, you will have already completed some of the modules required to obtain an MA. This will count as RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning). Subject to a successful audition, showing your skills as a performer are at an ‘MA standard’, and at least 5 years industry experience for applicants with no prior degree, you may be eligible to ‘top up’ to an MA part-time, even if you do not currently hold a Degree. Please reach out to our office staff on firstname.lastname@example.org
- OVERALL LEARNING OUTCOMES FOR MA MUSICAL THEATRE PERFORMANCE:
- Students will gain experience related to professional theatrical performance and production through practical application.
- Students will gain an in-depth knowledge of Musical Theatre in the past, present and future, and gain an understanding of a broad range of Repertoire. They will gain an understanding of the suitability of Repertoire to their own casting bracket, as well as developing an industry-ready audition portfolio.
- Students will gain professional-level skills required for a career in the musical theatre profession including dance technique, vocal technique and acting technique.
- Students will acquire an advanced knowledge of the art and craft of theatre, and specifically Musical Theatre.
- Students will learn to manage their independent learning, and personal and professional development in a way which will sustain them as analytical, creative and reflective performers.
- Students will learn to work effectively as creative and imaginative collaborative artists with the capacity to lead and to be led in a professional environment. Associated Studios are passionate about Musical Theatre and have forged strong and trusted links with eminent industry professionals in both the UK and Internationally. Through this close association, we understand industry requirements and have a network of dedicated and highly experienced theatre practitioners who stand ready to offer you help and advice whilst you are studying with us, and after you embark on your career. All our coaches are leading industry practitioners including Musical Directors, Directors, Vocal Coaches, Choreographers, Writers, Composers and experienced Performers.
Acting: Scene Study, Monologue, Character work, Shakespeare, Voice, Improvisation, Movement. Singing: Individual 1-1 Singing Lessons, Ensemble Singing, Acting through Song, Pop/Rock Workshops, Repertoire Classes to build a comprehensive Audition portfolio covering all genres of song required for professional Musical Theatre auditions. Dance: Streamed Dance classes focusing on Jazz and Ballet technique and Musical Theatre Routine. Industry Classes & Masterclasses: Performance and Mock Audition classes with Agents, Casting Directors and other Industry luminaries Marketing and Business Seminars: Classes covering the entrepreneurial aspect of the Performer’s craft ranging from an Introduction to Marketing and Accounting to how to construct a Cabaret. Industry classes at Associated Studios London are given throughout the course of your study. We are incredibly proud of the strong links we have within the wider theatre industry and throughout your training you will come into contact with a number of different agents and casting directors, as well as visiting directors, choreographers and musical directors who are currently working in the industry both nationally and internationally Casting & Mock Audition Workshops: Including sessions with Agents, Casting Directors, eminent performers and Industry experts. Marketing: Teaching you the skills necessary to become an independent professional performer including: How to write a good industry standard CV, getting your head shots right, writing to agents and understanding theatre terminology.
- Projects There are many projects which aim to build the other tools you will require to succeed in the professional Musical Theatre Industry. Some of these are listed below:
- New Writing: Work with leading contemporary theatre composers on new musicals.
- Public Production: You will take part in a full scale musical that will be performed in a professional, central London theatre, after a production period of approximately 8 weeks. In this time all regular classes will be suspended and replaced by company rehearsals.
- Industry Showcase: The MA culminates in an industry presentation for invited Agents and Casting Directors in Central London.
- *Please note classes may be subject to change as we endeavour to tailor the programme to the specific needs of each year group
Who Should Apply?
- Applicants must be over 18 to apply.
- Please note that currently this course is a validated MA for UK and EU citizens only. Applicants from other countries are eligible for the Intensive British Diploma, which is the same course, but without the Extended Independent Performance Project. Please ask the office for details.
- Performers who have the requisite talent and potential to go into the professional Musical Theatre industry, who have completed a Bachelor of Arts in a Performing Arts subject, ideally in Musical Theatre, Dance or Acting, or who may have studied a different degree, but have extensive practical experience in the Performing Arts.
- We will consider talented performers who do NOT hold a prior degree, but who have the equivalent of 5 years industry experience and whose current performance skills are deemed to be at MA standard at audition.
- All offers are subject to successful audition. Please prepare two contrasting Musical Theatre Songs and one monologue. Please include a list of your current Repertoire.
- All Associated Studios Alumni who have studied on our advanced courses may be eligible for RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning). Alumni who are deemed to be at MA performance standard at audition may be eligible to top up to an MA through part-time study. Fees would reflect this proportionally and students would only pay for the ‘top-up’ module. Please ask the office for more details.