MA Musical Theatre Performance
MA Musical Theatre Performance
We are thrilled to announce the launch of an MA Musical Theatre Performance in collaboration with Wolverhampton University beginning October 2020
OVERALL LEARNING OUTCOMES FOR MA MUSICAL THEATRE PERFORMANCE:
- Students will gain experience related to professional theatrical performance and production through practical application.
- Students will gain an in-depth knowledge of Musical Theatre in the past, present and future, and gain an understanding of a broad range of Repertoire. They will gain an understanding of the suitability of Repertoire to their own casting bracket, as well as developing an industry-ready audition portfolio.
- Students will gain professional-level skills required for a career in the musical theatre profession including dance technique, vocal technique and acting technique.
- Students will acquire an advanced knowledge of the art and craft of theatre, and specifically Musical Theatre.
- Students will learn to manage their independent learning, and personal and professional development in a way which will sustain them as analytical, creative and reflective performers.
- Students will learn to work effectively as creative and imaginative collaborative artists with the capacity to lead and to be led in a professional environment. Associated Studios are passionate about Musical Theatre and have forged strong and trusted links with eminent industry professionals in both the UK and Internationally. Through this close association, we understand industry requirements and have a network of dedicated and highly experienced theatre practitioners who stand ready to offer you help and advice whilst you are studying with us, and after you embark on your career. All our coaches are leading industry practitioners including Musical Directors, Directors, Vocal Coaches, Choreographers, Writers, Composers and experienced Performers.
Associated Studios take pride in developing performers of the highest calibre. You will be challenged and nurtured, inspired to work to the best of your ability. This vocational MA offers one year of intensive practical training in Dance, Singing and Acting, the skills required to become an outstanding Musical Theatre performer.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
- Applicants must be over 18 to apply.
- Performers who have the requisite talent and potential to go into the professional Musical Theatre industry, who have completed a Bachelor of Arts in a Performing Arts subject, ideally in Musical Theatre, Dance or Acting. We will also consider talented performers who may have studied a different degree, but have extensive practical experience in the Performing Arts.
- All offers are subject to successful audition. Please prepare two contrasting Musical Theatre Songs and one monologue. Please include a list of your current Repertoire.
Acting: Scene Study, Monologue, Character work, Shakespeare, Voice, Improvisation, Movement
Singing: Individual 1-1 Singing Lessons, Ensemble Singing, Acting through Song, Pop/Rock Workshops, Repertoire Classes to build a comprehensive Audition portfolio covering all genres of song required for professional Musical Theatre auditions.
Dance: Streamed Dance classes focusing on Jazz and Ballet technique and Musical Theatre Routine.
Industry Classes & Masterclasses: Performance and Mock Audition classes with Agents, Casting Directors and other Industry luminaries
Marketing and Business Seminars: Classes covering the entrepreneurial aspect of the Performer’s craft ranging from an Introduction to Marketing and Accounting to how to construct a Cabaret.
*please note classes may be subject to change as we endeavour to tailor the programme to the specific needs of each year group
Industry classes at Associated Studios London are given throughout the course of your study. We are incredibly proud of the strong links we have within the wider theatre industry and throughout your training you will come into contact with a number of different agents and casting directors, as well as visiting directors, choreographers and musical directors who are currently working in the industry both nationally and internationally:
- Casting & Mock Audition Workshops: Including sessions with Agents, Casting Directors, eminent performers and Industry experts
- Marketing: Teaching you the skills necessary to become an independent professional performer including: How to write a good industry standard CV, getting your head shots right, writing to agents and understanding theatre terminology.
There are many projects which aim to build the other tools you will require to succeed in the professional Musical Theatre Industry. Some of these are listed below:
- New Writing: Work with leading contemporary theatre composers on new musicals.
- Public Production:You will take part in a full scale musical that will be performed in a professional, central London theatre, after a production period of approximately 6-8 weeks. In this time all regular classes will be suspended and replaced by company rehearsals.
- Industry Showcase: The MA culminates in an industry presentation for invited Agents and Casting Directors in Central London.
*please note all course content is subject to change.
Please note that this MA is currently in the final stages of validation. Please see the link below:
“Having worked professionally as an actor and a singer/musician for over ten years I have had the opportunity to study with some remarkable mentors. None have unleashed the passion, joy, focus and clarity of sound that Leontine Hass has, by virtue of her extraordinary breadth of knowledge, vast experience and her ability to immediately assess and tap into an individual’s vocal potential.”Doug Hansell – (AS alumni) recently starred in ‘Titanic’ at the Charing Cross Theatre.
“Since doing the first Associated Studios course I went from strength to strength – I secured a great new agent who I’ve been with for many years now and who I count as a friend and a rock… and have now wracked up two West End contracts, an Arena tour around America and I know there’s still great things ahead. Leontine Hass and the directors, MD’s and choreographers from Associated Studios have remained in my life as friends, mentors and as fellow professionals. When you’re ‘resting’ these people will be the ones who drive you forward.”David O’Mahoney (AS Alumni) recently starred in ‘The Bodyguard’ with Beverley Knight. Currently plays Swing in the London West End production of ‘Beautiful’.
Start Date: Monday 12 October 2020
- Mondays 09.30 – 17.30
- Tuesdays 09.30 – 17.30
- Wednesdays 09.30 – 17.30
- Thursdays 09.30 – 17.30
Finance: Interest free instalment plans available
Entry: Via audition