7 Month Musical Theatre Course (Part-Time)
Commencing: 16th September 2018
Ending: 9th July 2019
Sundays 1.00pm – 8.00pm,
Mondays 9.00am – 5.00pm
Christmas Break: 4th December 2018 to 16th February 2019
Entry is via audition only. Auditions are held throughout the year. We also run one-day workshop auditions.
Please prepare two contrasting musical theatre songs and a short monologue, no longer than 3 mins each.
Individual audition fee: £30 (non-refundable).
Individual Auditions available upon request.
This professional development course focuses on evolving, encouraging and refining your existing vocal, acting and dance skills. The part time nature of the course allows you to continue your regular work whilst taking the opportunity to develop and polish your skills. There is also a long built in ‘Panto’ Break from early December to late February, allowing you to work on what you learned in the first 3 months, as well as to work in Panto and Christmas shows. The primary objective of the course is to prepare you for work and for auditions, build your confidence, build an excellent audition folder and expose you to industry professionals who will push you to achieve the best of your ability.
You will be on a dynamic and rigorous schedule over an intensive year. A key ethos of our training is allowing you to focus and develop in accordance with your individual needs, and developing you skills with eminent theatre practitioners including Directors, Musical Directors, Vocal Coaches, Choreographers, Casting Directors, Agents, Composers, and Performers.
Singing and Performance Classes include:
- Performance classes with leading Musical Directors, Performance Coaches and Directors
- Vocal Technique classes building the vocal, physical and mental stamina required to succeed in a competitive business as well as encouraging a rigorous practice regime
- Repertoire classes to learn how to choose successful repertoire and discover and develop your unique selling point and casting
- 32-Bar classes teaching you how to cut songs appropriately and how to give of your best in a short space of time
- Mock Audition classes focusing on choosing two contrasting songs for the shows in the standard repertoire (one show at a time). These classes develop your presentation skills, build your Audition Rep folder, develop your ability to make specific artistic and musical choices and teach you to ‘lengthen your long rope’.
- Composer project classes focusing on particular Musical Theatre composers and teaching you style, performance history and furthering your knowledge of Musical Theatre History
- Performance confidence classes addressing the fact that many performers deal with anxiety, stage fright and lack of confidence. These sessions allow you to work through these challenges in a supportive and safe environment.
- Optional packages for affordable one to one singing lessons with leading vocal coaches.
Acting and Voice Classes include:
- Text Classes
- Classes exploring how to handle heightened acting required in Panto and some Musical Theatre shows
- Classes guiding you to choose suitable monologues and speeches
- Scenes classes
Dance and Movements classes include:
- Jazz classes
- Musical Theatre Routine Classes
- Alexander Technique
- Pilates Classes
Industry classes include:
- Sessions with Agents, Casting Directors and Industry experts
- A showing as well as a video presentation to agents and casting directors
- Industry Panels
- Marketing classes teaching you how to write a good industry standard CV, getting your head shots right, Agents, Theatre terminology and other skills
The course leader is Principal and West End vocal coach Leontine Hass.
Who should apply:
- Recent graduates new to the industry
- Performers wishing to re-focus their career
- Seasoned performers looking for a safe space to work on their skills. Courses are about individual journeys and the opportunity to expand and develop your skills.
- Dancers and Actors who have a well developed singing ability and some performance experience
- Applicants must be over 18 to apply, and we welcome international applicants.
“Having worked professionally as an actor and a singer/musician for over ten years I have had the opportunity to study with some remarkable mentors. None have unleashed the passion, joy, focus and clarity of sound that Leontine Hass has, by virtue of her extraordinary breadth of knowledge, vast experience and her ability to immediately assess and tap into an individual’s vocal potential.”
Doug Hansell – recently starred in ‘Titanic’ at the Charing Cross Theatre.
“Since doing the first Associated Studios course I went from strength to strength – I secured a great new agent who I’ve been with for many years now and who I count as a friend and a rock… and have now wracked up two West End contracts, an Arena tour around America and I know there’s still great things ahead. Leontine Hass and the directors, MD’s and choreographers from Associated Studios have remained in my life as friends, mentors and as fellow professionals. When you’re ‘resting’ these people will be the ones who drive you forward.”
David O’Mahoney – starred in ‘The Bodyguard’ with Beverley Knight. Currently plays Swing in the London West End production of ‘Beautiful’.
“Having completed the part time Musical Theatre course at Associated Studios and also had individual coaching with Leo my confidence has improved massively and I would not hesitate to recommend them both.”
Alice Stokoe – recently starred as Sophie in London’s West End production of ‘Mamma Mia’ and ‘American Idiot’
FEES AND FINANCE
- £5,300 Full Course Fees
- £320 8 additional 1-1 coaching sessions
- Following acceptance of an offer to join the course, the deposit for the course is 25% of the full fee (50% for overseas students)
- All Course fees may be paid in instalments. In instances of financial difficulty we sometimes allow lengthy instalment plans.
The Associated Studios are a Professional and Career Development Loans registered Learning Provider, registration number 21311. A Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial bank loan that you can use to help pay for work-related learning. For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit the GOV.UK website or contact the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.
MASTERS CONVERSION OPTION
A graduate student who is undertaking or has completed this course can apply for credits for prior learning on the MA Ensemble Theatre at Rose Bruford. Students would apply to Rose Bruford to receive an exemption for 30-60 credits of the Rose Bruford MA programme. Were this option to go ahead, Rose Bruford would organise research methodologies for them around the commitment to Associated Studios.
HOW TO APPLY:
Performers interested in audItioning should apply by submitting the form on the right or by sending their current performance CV and headshot to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Places are strictly limited to a maximum of 18.
There is a £30 non-refundable application fee. This applies to all applicants and covers the cost of the panel, venue and accompanist.
We welcome international applicants. If you are unable to attend an audition, your application should also include a DVD/demo tape or link to a performance of at least two contrasting songs and one short monologue. We will also require a reference from two industry members of standing to support your application. This may be anyone who you have worked with professionally in an industry capacity.
Please complete the form below. Alternatively, send your application by email to email@example.com, or to the following address:
Associated Studios London, The Hub @ St Alban’s Fulham, 2 Margravine Road, London W6 8HJ, UNITED KINGDOM
Please note: The Associated Studios London are unable to assist with any visa or migration related issues. To verify you fulfil the criteria to enter the UK, please check with the UKBA.
There is a £30 audition fee to cover the cost of the panel and accompanist. The fee must be paid in advance of your audition to complete your application. You will then be contacted with a choice of audition dates.
Please note that this fee is non refundable.