2 Year Diploma in Musical Theatre
Commencing: 23 September 2018
Fee: £20,800 (including one-to-one singing sessions)
This Diploma course offers two years of intensive practical training, providing you with all the skills required to become an outstanding, multi-skilled Musical Theatre performer. Students are trained by industry practitioners from the West End and abroad. Each day comprises the practice of Singing, Acting and Dance (Ballet, Jazz, Tap). We believe that performing takes regular, frequent practice and facilitate this by keeping numbers of participants strictly limited to a maximum of 20 students. Associated Studios provide unparalleled individual attention in order to develop you as an individual and as an artist.
At Associated Studios we have forged strong and trusted links with industry professionals over many years. We pride ourselves on understanding industry requirements and having a network of dedicated and highly experienced theatre practitioners, ready to offer you help and advice whilst you are studying with us, and after you embark on your career.
What sets this course apart from the rest is that the standards of teaching rival the top Musical Theatre training institutions in the UK, and yet Associated Studios provides a ‘family’ environment which is challenging and nurturing in equal measure.
As the course runs from Sundays (1pm – 8pm) through to Wednesdays, students are able to support themselves on the other three days. Associated Studios objective is to make full-time, top-level training available to all talented, aspiring performers. Therefore we offer instalment plans for fees, making our training accessible to all who have the potential to work in the industry.
All our coaches are leading industry practitioners including Musical Directors, Directors, Choreographers, Writers, Composers, Casting Directors and eminent performers (see Meet the Team). The Course Director is Founding Principal and West End Vocal Coach Leontine Hass (www.leontinehass.com)
Singing and Performance classes include:
- Performance classes with leading Musical Directors, Performance Coaches and Directors
- Vocal Technique classes building the vocal, physical and mental stamina required to succeed in a competitive business as well as encouraging a rigorous practice regime
- Repertoire classes to learn how to choose successful repertoire and discover and develop your unique selling point and casting
- ‘Working Sessions’ with Musical Directors and Vocal Coaches allowing you to have your repertoire and backing tracks recorded and worked on in a relaxed and productive environment
- 32-Bar classes teaching you how to cut songs appropriately and how to give of your best in a short space of time
- Mock Audition classes focusing on choosing two contrasting songs for the shows in the standard repertoire (one show at a time). These classes develop your presentation skills, build your Audition Rep folder, develop your ability to make specific artistic and musical choices and teach you to ‘lengthen your long rope’.
- Composer project classes focusing on particular Musical Theatre composers and teaching you style, performance history and furthering your knowledge of Musical Theatre History
- Performance confidence classes addressing the fact that many performers deal with anxiety, stage fright and lack of confidence. These sessions allow you to work through these challenges in a supportive and safe environment.
- One to one singing lessons with leading vocal coaches.
Acting and Voice Classes include:
- Text Classes including work on Shakespeare
- Classes exploring Method
- Classes exploring how to act text lacking substance as well as how to handle heightened acting required in Panto etc
- Classes guiding you to choose suitable monologues and speeches
- Voice classes including work on RP and General American
- Scenes classes
Dance and Movements classes include:
- Ballet classes
- Jazz classes
- Tap classes
- Musical Theatre Routine Classes
- Alexander Technique
- Pilates Classes
- Stage Combat
Industry classes include:
- Sessions with Agents, Casting Directors and Industry experts
- Marketing classes teaching you how to write a good industry standard CV, getting your head shots right, Agents, Theatre terminology and other skills
Projects throughout the course include:
- A public production in a professional, central London theatre. The show will be performed in a theatre after a production period of approximately six weeks. In this time all regular classes will be suspended and replaced by company rehearsals
- Recording a demo in a state of the art recording studio for use for Spotlight and self promotion
- Song & Dance Project
- Monthly Open Mic Nights in Soho West London
- A West End Industry showcase for Agents and Casting Directors
- The performance of a Cabaret
- New writing projects working with leading contemporary Musical Theatre Composers
Fees and Finance:
- A deposit equaling 50% of fees for the first year is due to secure your place on the course (£5,200)
- The full cost for the 2 year full time diploma is £20,800
- The Associated Studios are a Professional and Career Development Loans registered Learning Provider, registration number 21311. A Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial bank loan that you can use to help pay for work-related learning. A loan may be available for your first year of study. For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit the GOV.UK website or contact the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.
“Having worked professionally as an actor and a singer/musician for over ten years I have had the opportunity to study with some remarkable mentors. None have unleashed the passion, joy, focus and clarity of sound that Leontine Hass has, by virtue of her extraordinary breadth of knowledge, vast experience and her ability to immediately assess and tap into an individual’s vocal potential.”Doug Hansell – (AS alumni) recently starred in ‘Titanic’ at the Charing Cross Theatre.
“Since doing the first Associated Studios course I went from strength to strength – I secured a great new agent who I’ve been with for many years now and who I count as a friend and a rock… and have now wracked up two West End contracts, an Arena tour around America and I know there’s still great things ahead. Leontine Hass and the directors, MD’s and choreographers from Associated Studios have remained in my life as friends, mentors and as fellow professionals. When you’re ‘resting’ these people will be the ones who drive you forward.”David O’Mahoney (AS Alumni) recently starred in ‘The Bodyguard’ with Beverley Knight. Currently plays Swing in the London West End production of ‘Beautiful’.
The Associated Studios Diploma in Musical Theatre
Students will be assessed in classes and projects throughout the course and marked accordingly. Those students who successfully achieve the required standard will be awarded an Associated Studios London Diploma in Musical Theatre.
There is a £40 audition fee to cover the cost of the panel and accompanist. The fee must be paid in advance of your audition to complete your application. You will then be contacted with a choice of audition dates.
Please note that this fee is non refundable.
Audition Dates: We audition monthly throughout the year